Published on May 20th, 2016 | by Ocean Mist0
Seawall Proposed by GZA & Kevin Finnegan
- Kevin Finnegan, owner of the Ocean Mist, has submitted a new plan to the Town of South Kingstown. This plan was designed by the reputable marine engineering firm GeoEnvironmental Inc. (GZA) with legal assistance provided by William R. Landry, Esq. who specializes in the legalities of land use.The new plan submitted by Kevin Finnegan calls for both the Town of South Kingstown and Mr. Finnegan to combine efforts, and apply together for a maintenance permit from CRMC to restore the already existing historic seawall.Benefits of maintaining the existing Mary Carpenter’s historic seawall:
- The already exiting historic seawall has a proven record of protecting the road and community over the past sixty years, when maintained correctly.
- Protects the road, main water line, and access to nearly 250 homes at the point of Matunuck by providing a buffer between the ocean and the street.
- Saves several immediate properties, including two economically viable businesses which:
- Employ over 100 individuals, many of which are tax paying homeowners.
- Pay over $350,000 annually in taxes to the state of Rhode Island and the town of South Kingstown. Saves more than 5 million dollars contributed annually to the state and local economy via vendors, suppliers, financial institutions and other business
- Contribute to the livelihood of vendors, suppliers, local bankers, and community organizations.
- Prevents the creation of flanking erosion on adjacent properties.
- Frees financial resources for the Town of South Kingstown to use elsewhere.
- Provides public access to the shore.
- Creates more off street parking.
- Creates a naturalized area to the west of the Ocean Mist for public use.